My intention was to submit this complaint after we'd received our discharge letter so that I would not have any more dealing with Attorney Richard A. Rice. However after finding out from the courts today 4/11/11 that they have been waiting on 4 documents from Attorney Rice since 12/27/10. I felt it was pass time to let people know about this attorney's inefficiencies and lack of his lack of integrity.
We hired attorney Richard A. Rice of 235 Peachtree St, Suite 400 Atlanta GA, 30303 in April of 2010 to file chapter 7 bankruptcy for my wife and I. We had a total debt amount of $55K of which Â¾ was for state and federal taxes. Early in the filling process we were assured by Mr. Richard A. Rice that once we fill most to all of the taxes should be erased because it was older than 4yrs. And once we received our "Discharge Letter" we would be on our way to rebuilding our new debit history! We were also told that if we have a question or concern to give him a call and he would promptly call us back. It's been almost 1 year and our case is still open because of Attorneys Richard A. Rice negligence in the following areas:
1. Shredding original tax documentation- Richard A. Rice asked us to bring tax info so he could start our case. He later shredded our original documents "3 years of tax and w2 info" without first making us aware of the fact he didn't like to keep clients personal information lying around in his office.
2. Filled Chapter 7 papers without adding $23,000 in back State taxes- Even though every time we talked I voiced how important filling our State and Federal taxes was to our overall case. I mean to be honest IT WAS THE MAIN REASON WE FILLED BANKRUPTCY!
3. 3 months of income garnished- The way we found out all the taxes were not filled was because my wife's income "the only income we had coming in at the time" was garnished by the state. We were finally able to get it reversed, but not until 3 months had passed, serious stress, rent eviction notice and other bills late, court fees taken out of the check all because Attorney Rice cited the WRONG MAILING ADDRESS for the State Revenue.
4. He would say he'd submitted paperwork that a week or two later he'd have to call us for that same info even though he stated he'd filled it earlier.
5. Not respond to emails or phone calls timely- If I left him a voice mail it would take me calling twice to get a response. Sometimes I had to make special trips to his office just to get an answer.
6. Reopened the case in November 2010 to submit the $23,000 in taxes however did not submit "AGAIN" all the necessary papers according to the courts to close the case.- As of today 4/11/11 there are still 4 documents outstanding from the amended filling.
I went by his office today to get clarity or an updated, because without our discharge letter my wife is unable to apply for a personal student loan. He was very short and unprofessional stating" do what I said and I've done all I'm going to do in a very negative tone. Now this is the same guy who has lied about submitting paper work before and later I had to bring the same paper he said he'd submitted.
To anyone who may read this, I hope you heed my words when I say Attorney Richard A. Rice of 235 Peachtree St, Suite 400 Atlanta GA, 30303 is not through, is unorganized, and very unprofessional. None of these are characteristics of a person you want to represent you in a legal proceeding. Learn from my challenges with this guy and find another attorney, because Attorney Richard A. Rice of 235 Peachtree St, Suite 400 Atlanta GA, 30303 is going to cost you more in time, money and energy then you want to waste on or with him.